Problems under test of IPv6 Ready Logo Program Phase-2

chenxiaochen chenxiaochen at emcite.com
Wed Oct 18 11:09:12 UTC 2006

Dear all,
This is my second letter here, I am beginning to love here for there are many kindly friends, such as SUZUKI Shinsuke<suz at freebsd.org> :)
Ok,questions follows...
Does someone do research on IPv6 Ready Logo Program? Now I am doing IPv6 conformance test under TAHI platform and I meet some problems.

My test setup is below:
  -+-----------------------+- Link1
   |                  |
   |                  |
   |rl0               |  rl1
  TN                 NUT
   |bge0              |  rl0
   |                  |
   |                  |
  -+-----------------------+- Link0
 TN:IBM desktop PC,OS is FreeBSD6.1;
 NUT:IBM desktop PC,OS is FreeBSD6.1
---   rl0,rl1,bge0 stand for the NICs of TN and NUT.
My test software is v6eval-3.0.10 and package are Self_Test_1-4-2 and v6eval-remotes-3.0.

1. Section 5: RFC 2463 - ICMPv6
   "case 11 Part B: Multicast Destination"  ---  fail
   After TN send Echo Request to global multicast address(ff1e::1:2), the following words appear on NUT's screen-----rl1:discard oversize frame (ether type 86dd flags 3 len 1514 > max 1294 )
   However, "case 10 Part A: Unicast Destination" passes.

2. Section 2: RFC 2461 - Neighbor Discovery for IPv6
   "127 Part C: Sending Unsolicited RA (Min Values)"  --- fail
   After NUT excutes rtadvd, TN says "Could't observe RA".
   The corresponding rtadvd.conf is
default:\
:maxinterval#4:\
:mininterval#3:\
:chlim#0:\
:rltime#0:\
:rtime#0:\
:retrans#0:\
:vltime#0:\
:pltime#0:
ether:\
:mtu#0:tc=default:
rl0:\
:tc=ether:
   But when I use Ethereal to capture the IP package, I get RA about 6 seconds later after rtadvd is excuted.
   The captured RA's parameters are:
   cur hop limit--64
   router lifetime--1800
   reachable tiem--0
   retrans time--0
   valid lifetime--0x00278d00
   preferred lifetime--0x00093a80

3. Section 3: RFC 2462 - IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
   All cases fail
   Reason----TN can't observe DAD process.
   I can't capture DAD packages by Ethereal in the network start process.

   But I can get DAD packages on IBM T43(NIC is bge0, OS is FreeBSD 6.1) and T30(NIC is fxp0, OS is FreeBSD 5.4) when the network start( host test).
   Someone ever told me that --- "there is a bug in FreeBSD's kernel which prevents DAD being sent. You have to force ethernet card into any mode rather than auto-select before it is activated, by modifying rc.network"
   As if rc.network has been change to netstart in FreeBSD 6.1. But I don't know how to modify it.

 I am eager to get some suggestions about the problems above. Your reply will be my biggest joy:)

 By the way, these is a bug I found about IPv6 Ready Logo Program Phase-2 auotmatic test. Hope this informaiton below will be useful to you.

1.install v6eval-remotes-3.0
2.# cd /usr/local/v6eval/bin/freebsd-i386/
3.# ee racontrol.rmt
line 288
"\t:rtime#$rOpt_retrans:"  should be changed into  "\t:retrans#$rOpt_retrans:"

Well, good luck to evryone, thank you very much!

Best Regards!
Chen Xiaochen
chenxiaochen at emcite.com
2006-10-18