rl driver and 4GB RAM

Tobias P. Santos tobias at netconsultoria.com.br
Tue Oct 17 17:07:41 UTC 2006

Hello!

We recently bought a Dell Server with 4GB RAM.
Then, we installed FreeBSD 6.1/i386 but it only detects 3.5GB of RAM. So
we recompiled the kernel with PAE option and now we have 4GB available.
Onboard NIC (em0) works fine both with GENERIC and PAE kernel, but as we
need a second 100 Mbit NIC, we plugged a Realtek 8139D board, but it
doesn't work with PAE kernel (GENERIC is fine).
If you do a tcpdump, you can see packets and arp requests on the
network, but we can't ping anything. It seems that we can only "listen"
on rl0 but not "speak". Once we reboot the server with GENERIC kernel,
the NIC works fine.
We also tried 5.4/amd64, but the behaviour is the same as we have with PAE.

Any suggestions? Could it be a driver related problem, so if we change
to another NIC it may work?

Thank you in advance,
Tobias.