PPP IPv6 prefix length and stateless autoconfiguration?

Krejsa, Dan dan.krejsa at windriver.com
Tue Oct 17 17:03:10 UTC 2006

Hi Jinmei,

Thanks for your reply!  I'm actually working on an OS which uses
a FreeBSD and Kame-derived stack, very similar in its IPv6 code
to the current FreeBSD.  The PPP code is of a different derivation,
however.  It specifies a 128-bit subnet mask and sets a destination
address for PPP/IPv6 interfaces, and we consequently saw an
issue with IPv6 autoconfiguration.  As a workaround, I did exactly
what you suggest, changed the code to configure the interface with a
64-bit prefix without a destination address (actually, the code
tried but failed to set the destination address, but I didn't notice
it at first).

This appears to make the autoconfiguration work fine, and I
encountered no other connectivity issues in brief testing;
but a coworker of mine noticed that ifconfig no longer showed
the destination address, and I investigated and found the
128-bit enforcement in in6_update_ifa().  This makes me somewhat
nervous; but if configuring a PPP/IPv6 interface without an
IPv6 destination address is the intended method of use,
I'd be more comfortable with this.  Is that the standard
way of doing things?

Thanks,
- Dan