VIA VT6103 support (VIA EPIA PD)

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Tue Oct 11 20:18:46 PDT 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:14:47 +0200 (CEST), in sentex.lists.freebsd.net
you wrote:

>Mike Tancsa wrote:
> > [ Oliver Fromme wrote: ]
> > > It has survived several buildworlds and network activity
> > > without any problems.  It's now running today's 6.0-BETA5.
> > > Here's a copy of dmesg, if someone's interested:
> > >
> > > http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/dmesg/epia.6.0-BETA5.txt
> >
> > IF you use FAST_IPSEC, load the padlock.,ko as it makes a nice speed
> > boost!  Also, you will need to use the patch in
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/86598
> > otherwise you will get the odd SSH problem when using AES
>
>Sounds cool!  I'll give that a try this weekend.
>Thanks for the hint.
>
>However, don't quite understand how things work together.
>Is the padlock.ko module used by IPSec only?  Or is it
>used by OpenSSL, too?  Do I have to recompile OpenSSL with
>special options?

Padlock.ko works with the FreeBSD CryptoDev framework. So things like
geil(8) will make use of it as well as anything that uses the
cryptodev framework (e.g. FAST_IPSEC).  See the docs on cryptodev for
more info

>I assume that only AES is supported by the hardware, right?

Correct.  Not all Via's support it either.  The ACE in the CPU
features tells you that yours does.

>So I have to set up my /etc/ssh/ssh_config to use aes128_cbc
>as the first entry in the "Ciphers" line, right?  (I've set
>it to blowfish by default, because it's faster than aes,
>but that's without hardware support, of course.)

Yes

>Oh, by the way:  What would be an appropriate CPUTYPE for

Generally, I have not set it as I have been burned in the past for
generally little benefit.