VIA VT6103 support (VIA EPIA PD)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Oct 11 02:14:50 PDT 2005

Mike Tancsa wrote:
 > [ Oliver Fromme wrote: ]
 > > It has survived several buildworlds and network activity
 > > without any problems.  It's now running today's 6.0-BETA5.
 > > Here's a copy of dmesg, if someone's interested:
 > >
 > > http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/dmesg/epia.6.0-BETA5.txt
 >
 > IF you use FAST_IPSEC, load the padlock.,ko as it makes a nice speed
 > boost!  Also, you will need to use the patch in
 > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/86598
 > otherwise you will get the odd SSH problem when using AES

Sounds cool!  I'll give that a try this weekend.
Thanks for the hint.

However, don't quite understand how things work together.
Is the padlock.ko module used by IPSec only?  Or is it
used by OpenSSL, too?  Do I have to recompile OpenSSL with
special options?

I assume that only AES is supported by the hardware, right?
So I have to set up my /etc/ssh/ssh_config to use aes128_cbc
as the first entry in the "Ciphers" line, right?  (I've set
it to blowfish by default, because it's faster than aes,
but that's without hardware support, of course.)

Oh, by the way:  What would be an appropriate CPUTYPE for
/etc/make.conf for the C3 Nehemiah processor?  Currently I
don't set any CPUTYPE at all, but I wonder if there's a
setting for more efficient code generation.  According to
the processor information ...

CPU: VIA C3 Nehemiah+RNG+ACE (1002.28-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "CentaurHauls"  Id = 0x698  Stepping = 8
  Features=0x381b83f<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,SEP,MTRR,PGE,CMOV,PAT,MMX,FXSR,SSE>

.. it supports MMX and SSE, so CPUTYPE="pentium3" should
work, I think.  But I'm not sure.

Best regards
   Oliver

"If you aim the gun at your foot and pull the trigger, it's
UNIX's job to ensure reliable delivery of the bullet to
where you aimed the gun (in this case, Mr. Foot)."
        -- Terry Lambert, FreeBSD-hackers mailing list.