High ping latency using two ethernet under FreeBSD 4.11 ...

dima _pppp at mail.ru
Tue Mar 15 08:20:46 PST 2005

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, dima wrote:
>
>>> I'm plugging everything into a Cisco 2924 ... is there some way, either on
>>> the FreeBSD side, or Cisco, of 'cleaning this up'?
>>
>> Try ng_fec. It works ok with 2950, not sure about 2924 though.
>
> man page is a bit short ... what exactly is ng_fec, and how does it affect
> things?

ng_fec is the NetGraph module which implements Cisco FastEtherChannel technology.
This actually means you have 1 virtual interface fec0 representing 2 or more physical interfaces.
The load balancing scheme can be assigned by a Catalyst, but low-end models like 2950 and 3550
can only balance traffic based on the least significant bit(s) of MAC-address.

> For instance, do I start configuring an 'ifconfig fec0' device instead of
> my usual fxp0?  or, does everything pretty much stay the same except
> running that extra daemon/command?

Here comes the basic setup employed at my site:

$ cat /etc/rc.local
/sbin/ifconfig bge0 media 100BaseTX mediaopt full-duplex up
/sbin/ifconfig bge1 media 100BaseTX mediaopt full-duplex up
/usr/sbin/ngctl -f /var/fec0.conf
/sbin/ifconfig fec0 inet x.x.x.x netmask 255.255.255.224 up
/sbin/route add default x.x.x.x
$ cat /var/fec0.conf
mkpeer fec dummy fec
msg fec0: add_iface "bge0"