Disabling VLAN_HWTAGGING

Jacob S. Barrett jbarrett at amduat.net
Sat Mar 27 08:48:40 PST 2004

On Saturday 27 March 2004 07:53 am, Jacob S. Barrett wrote:
> Well with a new "correct" MAC that pings go back and forth just fine now.
> I will back out all my changes and see if they still work with the hardware
> tagging/detagging enabled.

OK, with the hardware support re-enabled the frame now enters the driver.  It
is detected as VLAN frame and sent to VLAN_INPUT_TAG.  The frame is then
delivered via lower hook to the ng_vlan where it doesn't match the vlan tag
so it goes out the nomatch hook.  I guess with the VLAN tag stripped from the
frame that ng_vlan can't match it.  Is this the expected behavior with
ng_vlan?  I can just comment out the VLAN stripping line in the driver if it
is the expected behavior.  That isn't a big deal really.

I haven't done a whole lot with the network interface drivers other than a few
minor fixes here and there, but would it be hard to add some sort of flag to
enable/disable the tag stripping via ifconfig?  I was thinking that could be
down through a "linkx" flag right?  If the driver got the say "link1" it
would down the interface, set clear the stripping config bits, and then re-up
the interface.  Or would this be better handled by a sysctl option?  Does
that sound safe and do-able?

--
Jacob S. Barrett
jbarrett at amduat.net
www.amduat.net

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."