ADSL PPoA or RFC1483, any solutions ?

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Sun Jun 15 11:42:15 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 06:55:28AM +0200, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:
> Hi,
> I need in a near future to convert a bunch of adsl from PPPoE to PPPoA
> (more than  100 :-).
>
> Now they was working on FreeBSD (usually 4.8-STABLE, user ppp in PPPoE,
> zyxel 645M).
> Everything works fine until the management choose a new feeder for them
> which doesn't use PPPoE at all, but only RFC1483 and PPPoA.

If, as I expect, the DSL modem still has an Ethernet interface, you
can just set up the inside system as though the Ethernet leads to the
outside world, with the IP address of the ISP's router as the default
route.  My ISP works that way.  My Freebsd system's external Ethernet
has address w.x.y.z/24 and my default route is w.x.y.1.  If you
don't get a static IP address, running dhclient on the Ethernet
interface that talks to the DSL modem should work.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.