ADSL PPoA or RFC1483, any solutions ?

Gianmarco Giovannelli gmarco at scotty.masternet.it
Sat Jun 14 21:53:03 PDT 2003

Hi,
I need in a near future to convert a bunch of adsl from PPPoE to PPPoA
(more than  100 :-).

Now they was working on FreeBSD (usually 4.8-STABLE, user ppp in PPPoE,
zyxel 645M).
Everything works fine until the management choose a new feeder for them
which doesn't use PPPoE at all, but only RFC1483 and PPPoA.

Is really possible that there is no way to do PPPoA with FreeBSD ?

I am not expert so I ask:

1) Any viable solution with FreeBSD for doing that kinds (PPPoA or RFC
1483) of encapsulation.
Or I have simply to drop the idea to have  a PPP (or any other progs) that
permits at FreeBSD to manage the connection using instead a simple router ?
Having FreeBSD that manage the connection usually permit to save a lot of
NAT/PAT in the router iteself and make also firewall rules more simpler :-)

2) Why FreeBSD doesn't support PPPoA in the same way it support PPPoE ?
Which are the difficulties of doing this ?
The "experts" that came to sell this migration said that PPPoA is a far
more efficient and better than PPPoE, is it true ?

Thanks all for the kind attention.

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.gufi.org/~gmarco