ffmpeg26 confusion (Was: Heads up audio/video/graphics/multimedia/net/streaming port maintainers - ACTION REQUIRED)

Thomas Zander riggs at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 23 21:38:48 UTC 2015

On 23 June 2015 at 01:35, Jan Beich <jbeich at freebsd.org> wrote:
> (overquoting strawman ;)

:-)

> What happened to the schedule? 10.1 was released half a year ago and we're
> approaching code freeze for 10.2. Not to mention packages for FreeBSD
> releases are built against quaterly branches nowadays. And the next quaterly
> is 2015Q3 which should happen in a week.

It's a testament to the fact that no plan survives the first contact
with reality. In lack of participation, I decided to hold off until I
am in a position (time-wise) where I could deal with the fall-out of
the upgrade for a couple of days without major interruption.
Circumstances haven't been favourable so far.

> Maybe do the following to improve the situation:
>
> (1) Update ffmpeg port to the latest version (2.7.1 currently)
> (2) Remove ffmpeg26 port
> (3) Add ffmpeg23 port with PORTSCOUT=limit:^2\.3.*
> (4) Identify ports that hide ffmpeg dep behind an option
> (5) Mass PORTREVISION bump in consumers (API/ABI changes in major versions)
> (6) Exp-run with ffmpeg dep enabled if optional
> (7) Fix bustage or convert to ffmpeg23
> (8) Remove ffmpeg23 if no consumers

Yes, agreed, makes sense from today's point of view. When are you
planning on getting started? :-)

Riggs