Trying to get a built-in webcam (Dell M4800 laptop) to work -- clues?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Apr 17 00:17:34 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 08:16:56PM +0200, Juergen Lock wrote:
> >Any hints or clues for doing this?
>
> Not sure why webcamd doesn't start but you could try starting it
> manually:
>
> 	webcamd -d 1.3

Well, that did this:

g1-254(10.1-S)[5] sudo !!
sudo webcamd -d 1.3
Password:
Attached to ugen1.3[0]
Creating /dev/video0

So I looked a bit more on the VIDEO4BSD page
(<http://www.selasky.org/hans_petter/video4bsd/>), and saw that the
reader is directed:

# the following command will attach to the first detected webcam:

./webcamd

#
# The following command will try to attach to the given USB unit,
# interface and V4B unit.
#

./webcamd -d ugen4.1 -i 0 -v 0

#
# The following command will display webcam contents from /dev/video0
# by default.
#

pwcview

OK; so:

g1-254(10.1-S)[5] pwcview
Failed to access webcam: Permission denied
Make sure you have connected your webcam to the root hub
or to a USB 1.1 hub, also check your dmesg for any errors.
g1-254(10.1-S)[6]

Hmm....

OK:

g1-254(10.1-S)[7] sudo -E !$
sudo -E pwcview
Password:
Webcam set to: 320x240 (sif) at 5 fps

And a light lit up on the top bezel of my laptop, and a window was
created that had an image of my face in it.  I was ... surprised. :-}

I think that means that it can work....

Thanks!

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Those who murder in the name of God or prophet are blasphemous cowards.