[SOLVED] multimedia/x264 build failure, linker error

Gary Palmer gpalmer at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 25 14:56:31 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 08:35:12AM -0600, Andrew Berg wrote:
> On 2014.11.25 08:26, Gary Palmer wrote:
> > Since I assume most of the packages that depend on the old x264-0.136.2358_4
> > depend on the library rather than the CLI command, is there any harm in
> > doing
> >
> > portmaster -o multimedia/libx264 x264-0.136.2358_4
> >
> > instead?  That way the dependancies are kept (mostly) correct
> Don't do that. The dependency change has been properly handled, and those ports
> know to use multimedia/libx264.

If you followed the instructions in the mail I replied to, the installed
packages are left with a dependency on x264 and not libx264.

The real problem is that the few times I tried to use automated update
methods ran into problems because x264 was already installed and libx264
couldn't be installed because they conflicted.  Nothing seems to be
in UPDATING or MOVED so the upgrades break.  There needs to be a better
way of handling these cases.

Regards,

Gary