PVR-250 with FreeBSD 10.0?

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Tue Aug 5 20:55:42 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 07:25:08AM -0500, Kevin Monceaux wrote:

> I was using the same version.  I switched back to Linux last night.  I
> haven't got far enough with the install to try doing anything with the
> card yet.  I'll see if I have more luck with Linux.

Well, it took me most of the day to figure out how to build the needed ivtv
kernel module.  Ah, Linux's lovely kernel menuconfig.  For reasons I have
yet to understand I had to enable a remote control module to get the ivtv
module to show up under the appropriate menu.  After building and loading
the ivtv module the card appears to be working under Linux.  Aside from the
kernel module configuration I didn't have to jump through any hoops or
search online for firmware to get it working.  I'm working remotely via ssh
right now so I can't be sure until I get home, but I was able to select the
S-Video input and capture a short test video, which is presumably blank
since nothing is connected to the S-Video input at the moment.  But at least
ffmpeg reports the test file as:

[mpeg @ 0x652a80] max_analyze_duration 5000000 reached at 5005000 microseconds
Input #0, mpeg, from 'test.mpg':
  Duration: 00:00:18.13, start: 0.289867, bitrate: 6593 kb/s
    Stream #0:0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video (Main), yuv420p, 720x480 [SAR 8:9 DAR 4:3], 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc
    Stream #0:1[0x1c0]: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16p, 224 kb/s

so it looks like the card is working.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.