skype 2.1.0.81; alternate versions of the Linuxolator v4l2 patches

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Sun May 22 15:35:42 UTC 2011

In article <BANLkTinv-iKszN7cJhfhCcU59cAqms1gBA at mail.gmail.com> you write:
>Hi all.
Hi!  (sorry for the late reply...)

>I am sorry to bother you all again. I made some progresses here. I
>have succesfully managed to run my webcam inside skype. I have
>basically followed the main steps to get my webcam working outside
>skype (e.g. cuse4bsd, webcamd and pwcview, I am sorry I am too lazy to
>write all the passages...) and then I made the following:
>
>[User at Fermi:/home/User]> su
>[Root at Fermi:/home/User]> kldload linux_v4l2wrapper
>
>and after then, as normal user run
>
>[User at Fermi:/home/User]> skype --resources=$PWD/skype_static-2.1.0.81 &
>
>which made my webcam available and working. By the way I have these
>warnings comparing on my command prompt
>
>[User at Fermi:/home/User]> libv4lcontrol: error creating shm segment
>failed: Function not implemented
>libv4lcontrol: falling back to malloc-ed memory for controls
>libv4lcontrol: error creating shm segment failed: Function not implemented
>libv4lcontrol: falling back to malloc-ed memory for controls
>libv4lcontrol: error creating shm segment failed: Function not implemented
>libv4lcontrol: falling back to malloc-ed memory for controls
>
>and if I try to run pwcview from the command line I only get a window
>opening and closing immediately telling me this:
>
>[User at Fermi:/home/User]> pwcview
>Webcam set to: 320x240 (sif) at 5 fps
>libv4l2: error reading: Invalid argument
>Error reading from webcam: Invalid argument
>
>I am however able to see the output of my webcam. I do not know if
>this can be of use to you but I think this is a good step forward.

[this was already answered, you probably need to kldload sysvshm]

>am actually having troubles with audio devices and skype calls but I
>will try get rid of those problems tomorrow.

 And in case this is still a problem, instead of upgrading from -release
to -stable you can also try manually applying only the sound.ko fix,

	http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=221583

i.e. apply the patch from here:

	http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/8/sys/dev/sound/pcm/dsp.c?view=patch&r1=221583&r2=221582&pathrev=221583

and rebuild and reload your sound.ko, you can do something like this:

	# cd /usr/src
	# fetch -o - 'http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/8/sys/dev/sound/pcm/dsp.c?view=patch&r1=221583&r2=221582&pathrev=221583' |patch -p2
		[obviously needs kernel source installed]
	# cd sys/modules/sound/sound
	# make DEBUG_FLAGS=-g install
	# kldunload snd_hda
		[or whichever driver you are using; stop apps using sound first]
	# kldload sound
	# kldload snd_hda

 HTH,
	Juergen