Buzzing snd_emu10kx enabled card with r206173

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Thu Jun 3 09:04:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 10:07:18AM +0200, Mark Stapper wrote:
> > I'm going to try upgrading my kernel and I'll try these steps as well.
> > The locking between this driver and some other sound drivers isn't
> > exactly the same (interestingly enough this driver uses Giant locking
> > for some bits, while the ich one doesn't), and there were some past
> > bugs with other branches of *BSD's drivers related to pci bus
> > commands, etc; the other BSDs have dramatically different soundsystems
> > -- I assume the old school soundsystem, s.t. the issues are probably
> > not the same.
> >
> The part about PCI commands is very interesting.
> Could this be related to my PCI NIC (em) not working properly?

Let's keep this thread focused on the issue you originally reported, re:
snd_emu10kx.

Open up another separate thread (don't reply to this one and start a new
topic; send a brand new Email) for whatever issues you're having with
em(4).  In *that* thread, provide output from:

- uname -a  (you can X-out the machine name if need be)
- dmesg | grep em0  (or whatever interface number, e.g. em2)
- pciconf -lvc

Thanks.