Downloading RTSP stream?

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Mon Sep 21 21:27:31 UTC 2009

b. f. <bf1783 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> By the way, when you were attempting to download this with
> mplayer, did you use -dumpstream in conjunction with -dumpfile, and
> did you experiment with the -rtsp-* switches?

The -rtsp-* switches didn't seem relevant.  Turns out they aren't
available at all unless mplayer is built with liveMedia.  So I
recompiled the mplayer port with option LIVEMEDIA.  And presto,
mplayer -rtsp-stream-over-tcp (to cope with NAT) now *plays* the
stream just fine.  However, -dumpstream errors out:
Cannot dump this stream - no file descriptor available.

> tinker with various knobs.  I got mplayer to play the output of the
> first 30 seconds of your stream, albeit with a stream of error
> messages (I used tcp transport to allow passage through a firewall,
> and had to bump the buffer sizes as a result):
>
> openRTSP -4 -B 100000 -b 100000 -d 30 -D 110 -Q -n -t
> rtsp://ondemand.quicktime.zdf.newmedia.nacamar.net/zdf/data/quicktime/zdf/09/09/090920_untergang_szent_istvan_tex_vh.mp4

I don't see how most of these switches are relevant.

Hmm, "openRTSP -f 25 -w 688 -h 384 -4 -d 30 -t <url>" now captures
something that mplayer can sort of play.  Tons of errors, though.

Oh well.  I'll pass for now and maybe revisit this topic in a year.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de