USB webcam++ support for FreeBSD-8-current is soon here

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 21:26:47 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During the weekend I have almost finished my Userland Linux kernel wrapper
> with full USB support through the new libusb and Linux' V4L API.
>
> Currently compiling: GSPCA based Webcams, USB video class webcams.
>
> Technically all V4L Radio/DVB and Webcam devices using USB on Linux can be
> supported under FreeBSD in userland with little hassle. The only problem is
> that the Linux kernel code is GPL and not LGPL licensed, so there might be a
> problem linking with propritary applications ...
>
> Almost finished code is available from:
>
> svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
>      checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b/trunk/usbcam/ulinux
>
> NOTE: Not all files are checked in, so running "make clean all" won't get you
> anything yet.
>
> If you want to help out on getting the rest of the Linux Webcam drivers up and
> running on BSD, then please let me know.

does this new libusb support transfers up to 170 mbit? I wonder
because the synchronous attempt to
transmit URBs is way to slow for this.
I more or less also have a userspace wrapper for video4linux2 and
linuxdvb which also works with eg. libusb, libpci
and works on Apple. On Linux it works with legacy applications by
using LD_PRELOAD although I still need
a fast data transfer link to the kernel for USB (which is not provided
by libusb yet).
I also have a driver for this already (DVB-C, DVB-T, analog TV, FM
Radio USB Hybrid dongle).

regards,
Markus