USB webcam++ support for FreeBSD-8-current is soon here

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Mon Jun 1 20:37:06 UTC 2009

Hi,

During the weekend I have almost finished my Userland Linux kernel wrapper
with full USB support through the new libusb and Linux' V4L API.

Currently compiling: GSPCA based Webcams, USB video class webcams.

Technically all V4L Radio/DVB and Webcam devices using USB on Linux can be
supported under FreeBSD in userland with little hassle. The only problem is
that the Linux kernel code is GPL and not LGPL licensed, so there might be a
problem linking with propritary applications ...

Almost finished code is available from:

svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
      checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b/trunk/usbcam/ulinux

NOTE: Not all files are checked in, so running "make clean all" won't get you
anything yet.

If you want to help out on getting the rest of the Linux Webcam drivers up and
running on BSD, then please let me know.

--HPS