Xine and real video recently broke

Martin Cracauer cracauer at cons.org
Fri Jan 9 18:43:07 PST 2009

This got me puzzled.

Real video recently broke (I think it worked) in my FreeBSD/i386 Xine.
It still works in mplayer and they both use the same binary codecs.

%%

I have xine and mplayer set up in FreeBSD and Linux.  I use the same
binary codecs and the same libxine version.

FreeBSD/xine doesn't work, the other three combinations work.

The video in question plays through this stack of software layers in
all 4 players:
- libxine.../src/input/libreal/*.c [FreeBSD or Linux native file compiled into xine]
- binary codec drv4.so.6.0
- binary codec drvc.so

I have verified with verbose output and `ls -ltruT` that the Linux and
FreeBSD xines both access these same codecs and the md5s on both
machines are the same.

drv4.so.6.0 is a Linux file, but it is supposed to work under
FreeBSD.  I am mostly positive that this worked before some recent
upgrades (6.x -> 7.x and general ports upgrade).

But the real trick is that FreeBSD's mplayer works, using this *.so
file.

The video in question is public domain, I can make it available to
whoever is interested.

%%

More details:

Here's xine verbose on FreeBSD:

gui_xine_open_and_play():
        mrl: '/tmp/Rabaulal19656.rm',
        sub 'NONE',
        start_pos 0, start_time 0, av_offset 0, spu_offset 0.
xine: found input plugin  : file input plugin
xine: found demuxer plugin: RealMedia file demux plugin
demux_real: buf type 0x03210000 frame size 2304 block align 32
video_decoder: no plugin available to handle 'Real Video 4.0'

---------------------- (ERROR) ----------------------
A problem occur while loading a library or a decoder: drvc.soffmpeg_audio_dec: increasing buffer to 98304 to avoid overflow.

------------------ (END OF ERROR) -------------------

The error message seems to be related to audio, not video.  But the
working Linux/i386 does not display the same message for this video.

Here's the working Linux output:
gui_xine_open_and_play():
        mrl: '/space/video/cache/ww2-vids/Rabaulal19656.rm',
        sub 'NONE',
        start_pos 0, start_time 0, av_offset 0, spu_offset 0.
xine: found input plugin  : file input plugin
xine: found demuxer plugin: RealMedia file demux plugin
demux_real: buf type 0x03210000 frame size 2304 block align 32
info_helper: can't find out current locale character set
info_helper: can't find out current locale character set
info_helper: can't find out current locale character set
ffmpeg_audio_dec: increasing buffer to 98304 to avoid overflow.
info_helper: can't find out current locale character set
ffmpeg_audio_dec: cook audio channels 1 bits 16 sample rate 8000 block align 32 av_offset=0 pts
spu_offset=0 pts
osd: can't find out current locale character set

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/