Support AV Stream on FreeBSD

Roman Kurakin rik at inse.ru
Sat Sep 27 16:35:22 UTC 2008

Alex Keda wrote:
> Mark Linimon пишет:
>> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 08:49:37PM +0400, Alex Keda wrote:
>>> 1.5 year ago, when Kirk McKusick came to Moscow, he has told - that
>>> the purpose the next years - to catch up linux as with a desktop.
>>> It so? Or not?
>>
>> It's his opinion, or perhaps hope.  Kirk doesn't do much work on the
>> Ports Collection, so he's not one of the people driving the progress.
>>
>> I recommend that you look at PC-BSD or DesktopBSD, as they are much
>> more oriented to moving FreeBSD forwards on the desktop.
>>
>> mcl
>>

> And why is a collection of ports?
> I talked about the interface in the kernel, which could combine
> different variations - askew ported drivers for webcams, v4l and stuff
> that is one thing, and not to invent a new outlet for each video device.
The problem is that not all software could become the part of the main
distribution.
There are many reasons for that. Starting from license issues and ending
with the
style(9) related problems. So for many things that are not pass some
criteria the
simplest way to become the part (external one, but part) is the ports
collection.
For example, some drivers are part of the system, but their firmware are
part of
the ports collection.

rik