alc889a/alc885 with hda.7.20080913.patch

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 14 19:32:36 UTC 2008

Jochen Keil wrote:
> [AO OSS] Can't set audio device /dev/dsp to ac3 output, trying s16le...
> AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
> [format] Sample format big-endian AC3 not yet supported
> [libaf] Reinitialization did not work, audio filter 'format' returned
> error code -2
> Couldn't find matching filter/ao format!
> Starting playback...
>
> Don't let yourself fool by the error messages.. ac3/dolby digital/5.1
> works.

Actually this is bad. Device should be opened with AC3 format. You are
just lucky that your receiver is clever enough to detect unmarked AC3
input stream instead of PCM data. Mine is not.

Probably reason is also in Soft PCM vol. I had no such messages on my
tests. My AD1988 codec has real hardware digital volume control, so Soft
PCM vol is not used.

--
Alexander Motin