New cards and analog support for cx88

Konstantin Dimitrov kosio.dimitrov at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 13:42:53 UTC 2008

hello All,

i want to thank Jason again for his tremendous and excellent work on
the cx88 drivers!

the ability to watch digital television really makes huge difference
in my FreeBSD experience as a desktop OS and without Jason's work i
wouldn't have what to patch in order to add support for cards like
WinTV-HVR-4000.

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Torfinn Ingolfsen
<torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 13:22:37 -0500
> Jason Harmening <jason.harmening at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a new snapshot of the cx88 driver here:
>
> Very nice!
> Congrats with the big improvements to all the involved people.
>
> One question: does cards with the "cx88 chipset" support dvb-c? If so,
> will this driver support dvb-c devices in te future?

Conexant CX2388x is capable and can be used on DVB-C card, but AFAIK
there aren't any CX2388x based DVB-C cards available.

> I tried searchin the net for info abut this, but didn't find anything
> useful.
>
>> Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-4000 (DVB-T)
>
> Hmm, is this the HAU-354 model, the HAU-1170 model, or both?

using Hauppauge model numbers to identify the card is not a good idea
at all, because their model numbers are complete mess and that will
lead to great confusion what is actually supported and what is not.

for example, there is one model number on the box of my
WinTV-HVR-4000: "model 1170, SL-1170-V2.0-UK" and another numbers on
the card itself: "69009 rev. B2D3", but Hauppauge software for Windows
identifies my card as "model 69009". so, which model number is the
correct one - "model 1170" or "model 69009"? they are both equally
correct or incorrect and to lower the confusion from now on i will
refer to the number on the box as "model number" and for the numbers
on the card as "version number" and "revision". for WinTV-HVR-4000 i
am aware of 3 model number numbers (1170, 1168, 364) and at least 4
version numbers (69559, 69009, 69569, 69??? - i don't know the exact
number of the last one), not to mention that model 69009 has at least
two revisions: B2D3 and B2A0 that have slightly different DVB-T/Analog
frontends - respectively FMD1216MEX and FMD1216ME.

i've made an attempt to collect all information about different
models/versions/revisions of Hauppauge cards in the table here:

http://xkodi.svobodno.com/cx2388x/

but i failed, because it's very hard and time consuming to collect
such information. please, do NOT refer to that table, because it's not
complete and probably will never be. however, the table contains some
good information about different version numbers of WinTV-HVR-4000:

http://xkodi.svobodno.com/cx2388x/cards/hauppauge/69xxx/

as you can see the differences between different WinTV-HVR-4000 models
are very minor and don't really affect the DVB-T/DVB-S/DVB-S2 support,
but mainly affect the analog audio/video inputs and remote control
support.

so, it is far better to talk about supported DVB-T/Analog frontends,
DVB-T demodulators, DVB-S/S2 frontends and DVB-S/S2 demodulators.

currently, DVB-T is supported on every CX2388x based card that has

DVB-T Demodulator:
- Conexant CX22702

and one of the following

DVB-T/Analog Frontend:
- Thomson DTT7579
- Thomson DTT7592
- Thomson DTT75105
- Philips FMD1216ME
- Philips FMD1216MEX

DVB-S/S2 is supported on every CX2388x based card that has

DVB-S/S2 Demodulator:
- Conexant CX24116

and

DVB-S/S2 Frontend:
- Conexant CX24118A

please, note that DVB-S/S2 support is not in the current code, because
it's not mature enough, but it's working - i'm watching DVB-S/DVB-S2
television on WinTV-HVR-4000 with my development version of the
DVB-S/S2 support code.

so, based on the supported frontends/demodulators i know for the
following cards that should have

- working DVB-T support:

Club3D Zap TV2100
Hauppauge WinTV-Nova-T
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1100
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1300
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3000
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-4000
Leadtek WinFast DTV1000T
Leadtek WinFast DTV2000H
Terratec Cinergy 1400 DVB-T
VStream Xpert DVB-T

- working DVB-S and DVB-S2 support:

DVBWorld PCI2004C
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-4000
Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2
Omicom SkyStar4
TBS 8920
TeVii S460

but probably there are other cards that are using the same
frontends/demodulators and thus can be supported without additional
code with only adding their PCI IDs to the current code.

most of those cards have analog TV and FM radio capabilities too that
may work out-of-the-box with the code or may need additional work.

best wishes,
konstantin