Sound on Dell Inspiron 1525

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 6 20:56:37 UTC 2008

> > Your first codec is a modem and it is not supported.
> > Second codec presents:
> > pcm0 - digital connector playback (SPDIF or HDMI).
> > Third codec presents:
> > pcm1 - Speaker/Headphones playback with Headphones jack detection and
> > Speaker auto mute, recording from internal or external mics,
> > pcm2 - Line-out connector playback,
>
> any chance pcm2 is the cdrw+dvd device?

I don't think so. It is a playback only device. Your hardware vendor haven't announced CD input for some unknown reason.

> There is no lineout jack, just 2 (black) headphone
> jacks on the front. 1 has auto detect, other does not.
> Think the headphone jacks are a quad (complex) setup.
> External mic jack (black) is also on the front pannel.

So as I understand you have 3 jacks: Headphones, Line-out and external Mic. But this is how they are announced bi BIOS, you can retask them using device hints.

> If pcm2 is the cd/dvd, does the snd_hda driver support
> a method for routing between codecs?

Explain please what do you mean.

> Does the mixer interface support a method for
> accessing the mute widgets?

Setting volume to 0 interpreted as mute by driver. There is no dedicated mute controls in OSS mixer.

--
Alexander Motin