Intel 82801I hda, STAC9271D codec: problem(s)

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Thu Nov 13 03:44:15 PST 2008

on 12/11/2008 21:29 Alexander Motin said the following:
> Andriy Gapon wrote:
>>> With this hint (hint.hdac.0.cad2.nid10.config="misc=1") I now get
>>> playback from both front and back. Also, I just tested that 'mic' record
>>> source corresponds to back connector and 'monitor' to front connector,
>>> both work ('line' is not tested).
>>>
>>> One minor complaint is that there are the following knobs for mixer:
>>> $ mixer
>>> Mixer vol      is currently set to  92:92
>>> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  93:93
>>> Mixer speaker  is currently set to  30:30
>>> Mixer rec      is currently set to  45:45
>>> Recording source: monitor
>>>
>>> Because there is no volume control for mic or monitor, program like kmix
>>> display only "outputs" panel and there is no "inputs" panel. Because of
>>> that I can not switch recording sources via gui.
>>> But this is very minor.
>
> There are no dedicated controls for that inputs, only for mixed signal.
> That's why driver does not reports them.
>
>> And, BTW, it seems that both nodes 21 and 24 in record path have volume
>> controls. But I am not sure if it is worthwhile to expose them bot to
>> mixer.
>
> Driver tries to use as much amplifiers as possible, but it assigns
> controls only to some predefined cases: pcm, vol, rec plus one for
> control each input source. Assigning more controls without possibility
> to document their purpose will just confuse users.
>
>> Also, I am not sure why we have both vol and pcm knobs when there is
>> only one node with volume ability in the play path. Is this because of
>> softpcm quirk somewhere?
>
> If as in this case, there is no dedicated amplifiers for pcm and vol,
> driver uses same amplifier for both controls. Just to be as universal as
> possible.

Alexander,

thanks a lot for explaining!
Just in case: in Linux code I see that they route 3 possible inputs to
three different ADCs (nids 7,8,9) and then provide three different
volume controls:
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.27.5/sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c#L891
Maybe this could be useful for mixing together different inputs.
Personally I don't have any need for this.

--
Andriy Gapon