Driver for Asus P7131 and other SAA-based cards ? (was Re: kbtv2 sound saa.c -- And BETA3 available)

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Thu Mar 6 23:02:15 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 05 March 2008 17:55:30 Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Luigi Rizzo <luigi at onelab2.iet.unipi.it> (from Wed, 5 Mar 2008
> > I am not sure all these things belong in the kernel - they
> > are not IO or CPU intensive, and it would be a lot more flexible to
> > handle them through userland programs that issue appropriate IOCTL
> > to play with the internal i2c bus or card registers.
> >
> > In this respect, I am leaning towards a userland approach rather
> > than adding a lot of stuff to the current saa.ko driver
>
> I agree.
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.

I very much agree with this too. It just makes more sense. I don't think
there's ever going to be one general/generic tuner (tuner-dbv-x) lib though.
Some umbrella with common iic stuff that provides an API (read: simple ioctl
header file as in /usr/include/tv_tuner.h) for making common stuff
standardized (like probing for TDA on known address, probing for tuner
address, etc) would be an improvement already and decrease wheel-reinvention.

Cheers,

Dan