amd64, Thinkpad T61 and snd_hda

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Wed Jul 9 17:03:14 UTC 2008

On Monday 07 July 2008 11:43:50 pm Kurt Buff wrote:
> All,
>
> I've posted about this on questions@, and have gotten some feedback,
> but have brought it here as it seems more appropriate.
>

> I have a recent Thinkpad T61 running amd64 7-STABLE, and grepping
> dmesg reveals that the sound system is detected as an Intel 82801H,
> and the codec used is announced as Analog Devices AD1984.
>
> I've made the following entries:
>
> /boot/loader.conf
>      snd_hda_load="YES"
>
> /boot/devices.hints
>      hint.pcm.0.config="gpio0 gpio1 gpio2 gpio3 gpio4 gpio5 gpio6 gpio7"
>
> I've tried many variations on the above hint line, with no difference
> in results. That is, while the sound now works in some fashion, I'm
> not getting desired output from the built-in speakers - it just sounds
> like it's coming from a long way away - I can barely make it out. I've
> manually located the sound as coming from the speakers, and adjusting
> the software sliders makes it no louder, though I can silence the
> sound with them.
>
> What else should I be trying to get this working?
>
> Kurt

Does the T61 have the same volume buttons the T60 does?  On my T60 there are
buttons that appear to act below the OS level.  Perhaps make sure (by banging
on the volume up button like a wild donkey) that those aren't turned way
down.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB