amd64, Thinkpad T61 and snd_hda

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 04:10:47 UTC 2008

All,

I've posted about this on questions@, and have gotten some feedback,
but have brought it here as it seems more appropriate.

I have a recent Thinkpad T61 running amd64 7-STABLE, and grepping
dmesg reveals that the sound system is detected as an Intel 82801H,
and the codec used is announced as Analog Devices AD1984.

I've made the following entries:

/boot/loader.conf
     snd_hda_load="YES"

/boot/devices.hints
     hint.pcm.0.config="gpio0 gpio1 gpio2 gpio3 gpio4 gpio5 gpio6 gpio7"

I've tried many variations on the above hint line, with no difference
in results. That is, while the sound now works in some fashion, I'm
not getting desired output from the built-in speakers - it just sounds
like it's coming from a long way away - I can barely make it out. I've
manually located the sound as coming from the speakers, and adjusting
the software sliders makes it no louder, though I can silence the
sound with them.

What else should I be trying to get this working?

Kurt