PVR-250 on freebsd 7.0-release

Jeff jeff at doeshosting.com
Tue Apr 1 21:24:49 PDT 2008

Hey list,

I am trying to get my old Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 working on freebsd
7 (recently updated RELENG_7_0).
I only want this for s-video in, from my dvd changer.  I do not
require audio (which goes to my stereo system) or cable (I do not
watch tv).  This seems like a very simple setup, but I am having
problems that I cannot figure out from google.  I have read quite a
few helpful messages about this driver on this list, which is why I
have joined and am trying here.

I have X running, I am using John Wehle's driver from multimedia/
pvr250 which is loaded:

iicbb0: <I2C bit-banging driver> on cxm_iic0
iicbus0: <Philips I2C bus> on iicbb0 master-only
iicsmb0: <SMBus over I2C bridge> on iicbus0
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on iicsmb0
smb0: <SMBus generic I/O> on smbus0
iic0: <I2C generic I/O> on iicbus0
cxm0: Temic 4036 FY5 tuner
cxm0: SAA7115 rev 1 video decoder
cxm0: MSP3435G-B6 audio decoder
cxm0: IR Remote
cxm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
cxm0: [ITHREAD]
cxm0: encoder firmware version 0x2050032
cxm0: decoder firmware version 0x2020023

when I try pvr250-setchannel -s it says:
ioctl( tfd, METEORSINPUT ) failed.: Invalid argument

and outputs the following to syslog:
cxm0: video decoder failed to lock

I have the s-video cable connected and the dvd changer is playing a
dvd.  I also plugged in the coaxial cable even though I do not care
if I get that working or not.  I currently have the onboard audio
disabled in the bios because I do not plan on using it, but since I
am not getting a message about the audio decoder I figure that is not
important.

Help and/or advice is much appreciated.

Thank you,
-krzee