Problem with snd_hda, snd_atiixp, and ATI SB600 southbridge - "unable to allocate register space"

Coleman Kane cokane at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 20 12:47:07 PST 2007

Hi,

I recently got a laptop with the RS690T AMD chipset in it. This includes
the ATI SB600 High-Def Audio controller. Whenever I try to use it with
the snd_hda or the snd_atiixp drivers, I get an error and the device
fails to attach:

pcm0: <ATI SB600 High Definition Audio Controller> mem
0xd0608000-0xd060bfff irq 16 at device 20.2 on pci0
pcm0: hdac_mem_alloc: Unable to allocate memory resource
device_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6

pcm1: <ATI IXP SB600> at device 20.4 on pci0
pcm1: unable to allocate register space
device_attach: pcm1 attach returned 6

Does anybody have any insight into this problem? It's an HP Compaq 6715b
notebook.

--
Coleman Kane