Seeking DVD to Real Media conversion solution...

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Wed Nov 7 05:41:10 PST 2007

According to ruin evil <ruinevil at gmail.com>:

> Read the FFmpeg docs better and have it output something that Real
> Producer likes. FFmpeg is like the easiest transcoder to use in the
> world. Also mencoder is good for transcoding into AVI, but the syntax
> is significantly harder than FFmpeg.Real Producer is the only program
> that can make Real Video files... which, in my opinion, should really
> only be used in ancient useless streaming video. Also... did you try
> using the mov format in Real Producer, as it was in copy of the doc I
> gave you. Also, Real Producer Basic is only for personal files.

I have read the FFmpeg docs.  It is not my lack of understanding
of how to use FFmpeg, it is which codec to use - see below.

I did try the *.MOV approach - multiple variants of which.

It is not the container limitation that is the problem with the
Real Producer (basic).  It is the video codec.  I have been able
to get the audio portion to work (it cannot use MP3 by the way)
but never the video.  I've tried mencoder, transcode, and avidemux2.

If the Real Producer docs would give me a clue as to which or what
video codec was acceptable to it in either *.AVI or *.MOV containers,
I would, of course, use that.  But that is the one piece of information
that I lack.  And the kind folks at Real Networks would never reveal
that piece of information either, sigh...

Ignore the ancientness of all this, I am trying to solve a problem,
a personal problem.

Regards,

web...

William Bulley                     Email: web at umich.edu