command line only cd and dvd ISO ripping ...

Gore Jarold gore_jarold at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 20:29:52 UTC 2007

Hello,

I would like to archive my audio CDs by making full,
perfect copies of them in ISO format.

I seem to be doing this properly, but I would like a
sanity check on my command line - can someone tell me
what the "correct" command line is for making a
PERFECT iso duplication of an existing audio CD ?

I want to get this right because if my command line is
solid, I will "never have to rip my cds again" (which
I've said a few times in the last 10 years)

-----

Second, I'd like to do the same thing with my DVDs -
that is, archive them to a single ISO file that
represents the entire DVD - without losing one single
bit.

The difficulty here is that, in addition to a good
command line to produce the ISO (not sure what that
is, yet) I also need to incorporate decss in that
command line in order to decrypt the DVD on its way to
the iso file.

I see that there is a /usr/ports/multimedia/libdvdcss,
but that is just a library - are there any command
line utilities that incorporate libdvdcss that I can
pipeline in a normal unix command to generate my
desired DVD ISO ?

I know there are GUI tools that rip DVDs, but I would
really rather just keep things simple and rip to FULL
ISO right on the command line ...

Thanks.