flash sound through esound

Tue Jun 12 17:59:17 UTC 2007

Quoting "Michael Collette" <metrol.net at gmail.com> (Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:30:45 -0700):

> For the record, just installing the linux esound does not just make it
> work.  Here are some of the steps that do get it to work though.
>
> The flash player looks for a couple of things for sound support. One
> is /tmp/.esd/socket. This must be created on the X server.
>
> mkdir /tmp/.esd
> touch /tmp/.esd/socket

The esd should create this on its own. You should investigate why it
doesn't.

> The other thing flash is looking for is libesd.so.1. The linux-esound
> library also looks for libesd.so.0. This must be created on the X
> server as well.
>
> cd /usr/local/lib
> ln -s libesd.so.2 libesd.so.0
> ln -s libesddsp.so.2 libesddsp.so.0
> ln -s libesd.so.2 libesd.so.1
> ln -s libesddsp.so.2 libesddsp.so.0

Creating such links for the linux part in the FreeBSD path is wrong. Be
prepared to shoot in your foot in the future if you keep them.

> cd /compat/linux/usr/lib
> ln -s libesd.so.0.2.36 libesd.so.1
> ln -s libesd.so.0.2.36 libesd.so.2
> ln -s libesddsp.so.0.2.36 libesddsp.so.1
> ln -s libesddsp.so.0.2.36 libesddsp.so.2

Creating links for different lib versions brings you into trouble. You
need to find a linux esound which provides the right libs (in this case
libesd.so.1, as you want to run flash which depends upon it).

> After all that, linux-firefox properly recognizes the ESPEAKER
> environment variable, and sound is directed through it automatically.
>
> Perhaps either the flash7 or esound ports need to check for these
> links and create them as needed upon installation?  It'd just be nice
> to have it work out of the box so to speak.

No, the right fix is different from what you suggest, see above.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
King Arthur ran the first knight club.