Effective method of 'connecting' two X servers ...

Mon Jul 23 08:59:01 UTC 2007

Quoting "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy at freebsd.org> (from Mon, 23 Jul
2007 02:36:25 -0300):

> Since it appears I'm going to have to wait for proper nVidia driver
> support for
> amd64, I'm goign to attach my second monitor to my other machine, and start X
> on it ... but, what is the cleanest method of connecting the two so
> that I can
> use keyboard/mouse from my main screen on the second one?
>
> I used to have a Windows box as second screen (laptop), and used x2vnc to go
> from screen-to-screen, allowing me to cut-n-paste, etc ... so I'd like to do
> something like that, except from FreeBSD-to-FreeBSD, getting the
> laptop out of
> the mix :)

At work I use synergy to connect a Solaris and a Windows box. AFAIK
it's available in the ports too. This way you could even use the 2
screens + your laptop...

The setup is straight forward, and it recovers from connection losses.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
If there is a wrong way to do something, then someone will do it.
		-- Edward A. Murphy Jr.