Effective method of 'connecting' two X servers ...

Flemming Jacobsen fj at batmule.dk
Mon Jul 23 07:27:08 UTC 2007

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Since it appears I'm going to have to wait for proper nVidia driver support for
> amd64, I'm goign to attach my second monitor to my other machine, and start X
> on it ... but, what is the cleanest method of connecting the two so that I can
> use keyboard/mouse from my main screen on the second one?

I use /usr/ports/x11-servers/x2x for that.

/usr/X11R6/bin/x2x -to ${host}:0 -west
Will "attach" your second machines monitor to the left of your
main monitor and let your mouse move onto the display (enabling
you to select windows for typing etc.).

It works very well.

Regards,
Flemming

Flemming Jacobsen                                  Email: fj at batmule.dk
   ---===   If speed kills, Windows users may live forever.   ===---