Multi Head setup, how to guide ... ?

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sun Jul 22 03:56:31 UTC 2007

- --On Saturday, July 21, 2007 15:18:31 -0700 Arne WXrner
<arne_woerner at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy at hub.org> wrote:
>> how do I get a seperate screen up under X?
>>
> The man page xorg.conf might be sufficient... Search for "RightOf"...
>
> Maybe this helps better:
> http://wiki.osuosl.org/display/howto/Set+Up+Dual+Monitors+-+xorg.conf
>
> I personally took a template from some web page and cross checked against the
> man page...
>
>> Is it just a matter of adding a second 'Monitor' section to my x.org config
>> file, or do I have to start up two seperate X servers, or ... ?
>>
> Different displays would be interesting, too...
> But I dont know, how to do that...

'k, looks simple enough ... but doesn't seem to work ... if I uncomment Screen1:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
        Screen          "Screen0"
#       Screen          "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

        Option "xinerama" "on"
        Option "clone" "off"
EndSection

Fatal server error:
Requested Entity already in use!

So, my first question, which might be one that should be obvious ... will this
work if I don't have the nvidia kernel module loaded?  Or is that irrelevant?

I just tried using pciconf -l to see the devices, and only see the one
PCI/nvidia device ... and the sample at the wiki shows them using the same PCI
device for both Device entries ... so how does it know one from the other?

Thanks ...

- ----