audio CD's in SCSI drives -- syntax?

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Sat Jul 21 14:03:25 UTC 2007

Ben Kaduk schrieb:

>> There is another tool for ripping audio CD with SCSI drives: audio/tosha
>> I find tosha easier to use than cdda2wav, but this requires to install
>> another app and since cdda2wav is part of sysutils/cdrtools ...
>
> For now, I think I'll keep the handbook only mentioning cdda2wave --
> the text is confused enough as is.
I think it might be worthwhile throwing out cdda2wav as the reference
tool completely and instead rewrite the tutorial to feature cdparanoia,
which is pretty much the state of the art ripping utilitiy these days
(and has been even longer on Linux), works with device names rather than
unit numbers for SCSI drives as well, does in fact not require the
specification of any device by default as it will autoscan for devices
and just use the first one it finds and finally is used as the ripping
backend by nearly all modern GUI ripping utilities.

The mp3 player paragraph probably could do with a rewrite as well,
although it might be hard to come up with a substitute to XMMS - not
because XMMS is so great and popular still, but mostly because there is
so much more choice now.  mpg123 on the other hand is very outdated and
should probably be substituted with madplay.

Finally, if you want to look at the big picture, the whole section 7.3
is somewhat outdated and in need of a rewrite, given that there are
plenty of popular alternatives to mp3 available, including lossless
compressors, and mp3 itself is encumbered by that patent and the lame
port is thus restricted. It seems to me that re-dedicating section 7.3
to CD backups (with mentioning the possible formats to backup to) might
be the way to go. Of course, that's all easy to say for me who never
writes any documentation, but just in case someone reads this and feels
inspired ...

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org