audio CD's in SCSI drives -- syntax?

Ben Kaduk minimarmot at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 22:14:57 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm going through the multimedia section of the handbook, ostensibly
to look for grammar errors, but I noticed that most of the examples
are SCSI-centric, and do not seem to make use of named device nodes.
I do not have access to a SCSI CD drive myself, so I ask here to get
some more information about the current state of accessing SCSI CD
drives.

In particular, I am looking at this page:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-mp3.html

For example, in its discussion of the use of cdda2wav, it uses devices
by their SCSI unit numbers, but I presume that one could also point it
at /dev/cd0 (since /dev/acd0 works just fine) -- is this true?

The section also mentions that dd(1) can be used to extract audio
tracks from ATAPI drives.  Is it (still) true that SCSI drives do not
export the individual tracks as device nodes (e.g. ATAPI drives offer
/dev/acd0t01)?

Thanks for the help,

Ben Kaduk