speex upgrade to 1.1.12 ?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Wed Feb 21 17:59:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:56:34AM -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:34:47 -0600, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo at icir.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > we have two (conflicting) speex ports in the tree:
> > multimedia/speex which is version 1.0.5, source dated 07-May-2005
> > multimedia/speex-devel which is version 1.1.12, source dated  15-Feb-2006
> > for which there is no maintainer other than this list.
> >
> > Some packages start checking for recent (1.1.x) version of speex,
> > i think it would be good to upgrade multimedia/speex to 1.1.12
> > rather than patching the various configure files.
>
> Get them to depend on speex-devel then.

speex and speex-devel are conflicting.
And there are over 100 ports that depend on speex so if you
build speex-devel you won't be able to build those depending on speex
i believe.

> > A comment in the CVS repository says that:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/audio/speex-devel/Makefile?rev=1.31&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
> >
> > 	Speex 1.1 is backwards compatible with speex 1.0
> > 	and can be used as a drop in replacement
> > 	for audio/speex
> >
> > and the only reason for not upgrading multimedia/speex before
> > was that speex-devel is marked broken for 4.x - this should not
> > be a concern anymore, right ?
>
> No, the main reason of that is... It is a development version, so the
> 1.1.x stick in speex-devel is correct.

actually 1.1.x is not development anymore, according to

	http://downloads.us.xiph.org/releases/speex/

speex-devel is now  the 1.2 branch
Am i missing something ?

	cheers