Problems with -current + HDA + new Dell D620

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 4 11:01:20 UTC 2006

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 00:34:57 -0800
Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I have a shiny new Dell Latitude D620 with the dreaded Intel HDA.
> The good news is that the driver in -current works, and prints this
> in dmesg:
>
> pcm0: <Intel 82801G High Definition Audio Controller> mem
> 0xefffc000-0xefffffff irq 21 at device 27.0 on pci0
> pcm0: <HDA Codec: Sigmatel STAC9220>
> pcm0: <HDA Driver Revision: 20061017_0033>
>
> More good news, "regular" sound works, I can play wav files, etc.
> What is weird is that I get no sound from the CD drive when I have
> an audio CD in it, although I DO get sound when I play a DVD using
> xine. There is also no cd entry in the mixer. Any ideas?

Unfortunately, this is true for most recent hardwares: they don't have
analog cd connector. The only way to listen to your CD is to extract
its data digitally. Most players (mplayers, xmms, etc) can do this, or
you might prefer using dd(1) and play(1) (sox).

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........