XnView on FreeBSD 6.1 AMD64

Robert Krten root at parse.com
Sat Nov 4 01:09:52 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

I've been trying to get XnView (1.70) running on AMD64 with FreeBSD 6.1 release.

The port is marked as "i386 only", but the author was surprised that it wouldn't
work on AMD64, and he suggested downloading the executable and running it to
see what happens.

[shitake at ttypa] ./xnview
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libXt.so.6" not found, required by "xnview"

My next step was to see what shared objects xnview was looking for:
[shitake at ttypa] ldd xnview
ldd: xnview: can't read program header
ldd: xnview: not a dynamic executable

Googling around, there's apparently a bug in 6-current, and the suggestion
is to use LD_32_TRACE_LOADER_OBJECTS:

[shitake at ttyp6] LD_32_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS=1 ./xnview
        libXt.so.6 => not found (0x0)
        libX11.so.6 => not found (0x0)
        libXext.so.6 => not found (0x0)
        libXp.so.6 => not found (0x0)
        libstdc++.so.4 => not found (0x0)
        libm.so.3 => not found (0x0)
        libc.so.5 => not found (0x0)

I thought, "now I'm on to something", so I gave xnview the library path:
[shitake at ttyp6] export LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib

and ran it again:
[shitake at ttyp6] xnview
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6: unsupported file layout

I'm not sure how to proceed here -- should I expect xnview to work on AMD64,
like the author implies, or will it simply not work (and should I therefore
encourage the author to port it)?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
-RK
--
Robert Krten, PARSE Software Devices
Realtime Systems Architecture, Consulting, Books and Training at www.parse.com
Looking for Digital Equipment Corp. PDP-1 through PDP-15 minicomputers!