Dual head environment ... can I do it with my video card?

Andrew Milton akm at theinternet.com.au
Fri Jun 30 05:24:35 UTC 2006

+-------[ User Freebsd ]----------------------

| I was doing some work on my desktop today, and noticed that it has both an
| svga port (where my monitor is currently attached) and a DVI port ... now,
| on another machine I have, it has only the DVI port, and I use a DVI->SVGA
| adapter to plug my monitor in ...
|
| So, my question is ... I have a second DVI->SVGA adapter sitting here on
| my desk ... is it possible to use that second port for a second monitor?
| And, if so, does someone have a pointer to have I would configure that?

You can under X, I think if your graphics card actually supports it as a 2nd port.

My Radeon e.g. appears as two cards with pciconf -lv

none6 at pci2:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x024218bc chip=0x41521002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
    device   = 'Radeon 9600 XT (V350)'
    class    = display
    subclass = VGA

none7 at pci2:0:1: class=0x038000 card=0x024318bc chip=0x41721002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
    device   = 'RV360 Radeon 9600 XT - Secondary'
    class    = display

So it should be a matter of adding another entry to your x conf for the "2nd"
entry, the same as the first, with the Identifier and BusID changed.

--
Andrew Milton
akm at theinternet.com.au