bktr problems (fwd)

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Wed Jun 14 21:54:31 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 13 June 2006 04:42, Naram Qashat wrote:
> On my other subject, what would be the reason why the ioctl for
> TVTUNER_SETCHNL would cause the computer to reboot like that when FXTV
> tries to use it?  I remember that around the same time, I tried both XAWTV
> and KBTV, but neither one showed video properly so I stopped using them,
> FXTV is the only one that has worked so far as far as video is concerned.
>
> Naram

SETCHNL and SETFREQ ultimately do the same thing, they issue a iic write
command to the tuner (basically the frequency to tune to). Well, if the tuner
isn't detected properly and failure of SETFOO (or the underlying iic write)
isn't handled gracefully, there's a scenario where you can get a panic or
lockup and its quite possible that all you get to see is a reboot (and
perhaps your fans spinning up before that). So I think it's likely that this
is not another subject but rather it is a result from the tuner not working
(or somewhat but not correct) with the driver in the first place.

I have to say though, that whenever I saw lockups/reboots while (ab)using bktr
they were framebuffer/memory related rather than tuner related AFAICT.

(kbtv uses SETFREQ BTW, it doesn't use channelsets at all, dunno what xawtv
does)

Dan