ffmpeg question

R. B. Riddick arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 15:58:12 UTC 2006

--- Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> wrote:
> Nothing, except the files are very large... Since I plan to record
> every night, this space consumption will add up quickly.

I personnally use this command (and arguments) to compress my PVR250 movies
  mencoder -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -noaspect -lavcopts vbitrate=1111 -lameopts
abr:preset=50 -o $2 $1

$1 denotes the input file or "-" for standard input (e. g. cat /dev/cxm0 |
mencoder..., but this is a little bit risky, when the mencoder process needs
more time than the pipe-buffer can compensate; so u should write little chunks
(4GB or so - est. 1h) to ur harddisc before u compress them)
$2 denotes the output file

It is even possible to crop away black stripes (some cinema movies (like Sum Of
All Fears have black stripes in the top and in the bottom) with the option
  -vf crop=720:350

The quality can be adjusted via the vbitrate (I like 1111bit/sec). The problem
here is, that mencoder does not save (enough) bitrate in case of slow movements
for bad times, where the pictures change more rapidly... So that I have "very"
good quality when the pictures dont change and quite bad quality when the
people run quickly for some seconds or when there many cuts in the movie for
some seconds...

Does somebody know, if one can get a certain constant quality instead of a
certain nearly constant bitrate?

:-))

-Arne