ffmpeg question

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Tue Apr 18 15:44:29 UTC 2006

On Apr 18, 2006, at 4:54 AM, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> wrote:
>> The cat command works perfectly, but I'm trying to script it, and
>> since you can use ffmpeg to specify how many seconds of footage to
>> capture I'm trying to make this work.
>
> #!/bin/sh -
> DURATION=20
> DATESTAMP=$(date +%Y-%m-%d)
> cat /dev/whatever > /foo/bar-${DATESTAMP}.mpg &
> CATPID=$!
> sleep $DURATION
> kill $CATPID

Cool!

I'll hang onto this email... I'm currently using ffmpeg as a
passthrough, but I was wondering how to do it this way.

>> According to Quicktime's Get Info, the cat files are mpeg2...
>
> Yes.  What exactly is wrong with MPEG-2 in your opinion?

Nothing, except the files are very large... Since I plan to record
every night, this space consumption will add up quickly.

>> Am I starting to make sense now?
>
> I'm not sure.  :-)

Thanks for your response.. I appear to be set, but again, I hope my
messages are of use to somebody else!

Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe at netmusician.org