Sound Control

David Wassman myfreebsd at
Tue Sep 20 16:50:36 PDT 2005

On Monday 19 September 2005 08:12 pm, David Wassman wrote:
> I cannot get any application that I run to control the volume. I get sound
> but am not able to adust the volume level. So far the following apps have
> shown this problem:
> MPlayer
> Xine
> KMix
> Noatun (no sound at all so may be different issue)
> Kaboodle
> I am running FreeBSD 5.4/KDE 3.2.4 with a Sound Blaster Live! sound card.
> My sndstat:
> pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0xb800 irq 11 kld snd_emu10k1 (4p/2r/4v
> channels duplex default)
> so the card is recognized. I have adjusted the virtual channels in
> sysctl.conf and the sndstat shows there are 4v chanels.
> I have both esound and arts. Thought this may be an issue but both are
> dependencies of KDE-Multimedia
> So far I have tried the following:
> 1)	Updating ports and ran portmanager. No effect.
> 2)	Changed KControl->Sound System to use the following in all combinations:
> 		Autodetect
> 		Threaded OSS
> 		OSS
> 		Full Duplex
> 		/dev/dsp0.0
> 		/dev/dspW0.0
> 		/dev/dsp0.1
> 		/dev/dspW0.1
> 	No avail.
> 3)	Tried OSS drivers instead of FreeBSD native. Could not initialize the
> card. 4)	Rebuilt both esound and arts. No effect
> I have googled this yet cannot find any post with similar issue (except one
> in which the onboard card was not deactivated. I do not have an onboard).
> The only other thing I could think of is to update the whole system in
> buildworld. Not really excited about this option as everything else is
> working great (don't want to mess with it). I use this as my primary
> desktop so I don't want to be down for that long.
> Anyone have any ideas or a direction to point me in?
> Thanks in advance,
> David
I realized I might not have included enough detail. I have been using this 
system with the same sound card since at least 4.8 and don't recall having 
this issue before.  I am possitive that this works just don't know why it 
does not now. 

There was a three week period in which I had no speakers plugged in (I have 
been in the middle of a move for the last month). During this period I have 
upgraded the system on occasion ( trying to get azureus working with Eclipse 
3.1 etc.). 

I am unsure when exactly the problem occured. It's something you don't notice 
right away. 

I was hoping that someone had a similar issue. The sound card is not that 
uncommon. But several days of googling come up with nothing. Hope this may 
give some insight. 

Again thanks for all the help with this and in the past. The freebsd mailing 
lists are awesome and have always solved issues I couldn't figure out on my 


More information about the freebsd-multimedia mailing list