Which TV cards do send the audio data via PCI?

Jacob Meuser jakemsr at jakemsr.com
Mon Nov 21 00:42:07 GMT 2005

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 06:40:30PM +0100, Frank J. Beckmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> am Samstag, 19. November 2005 03:14 schrieb Jacob Meuser:
> > On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 04:37:40PM +0100, Frank J. Beckmann wrote:
> > > Is there really no bt8x8 card that sends the audio data via PCI?
> >
> > no.  what do you really gain by that anyway?  it's not like the
> > bt8x8 cards/bktr driver are so finely tuned that the minimal "delay"
> > or "interference" of running a wire to the soundcard is going to be
> > noticeable.
>
> You need an audio card for each tv card the way it is handled now. :-(

many audio cards have more than one input.  pretty sure most (all?)
people with a TV card will already have a sound card anyway.

and is it even possible to use more than one bktr card in a machine?

> > plus, NetBSD and OpenBSD use a different audio
> > architecture than FreeBSD, but bktr is pretty much the same across
> > the three.  there are some OS dependent bits, but adding a real
> > audio interface would add a whole lot more.
>
> Many parts of the BSDs differ but that should be no reason for not making
> things better.

bktr has been in the FreeBSD tree for more than 8 years.  in that time,
apparently no one has thought it worth the effort.  I still think it's
a very marginal "better" with a lot of complicated processes involved.

--
<jakemsr at jakemsr.com>