Which TV cards do send the audio data via PCI?

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Sat Nov 19 23:28:50 GMT 2005

On Thursday 17 November 2005 22:31, Frank J. Beckmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about bying a TV card. It must support PAL and and should
> handle stereo sound. There seam to be different ways how the audio data
> gets into the PC. Most cards use a cable to the sound card. But that blocks
> the only line in input. Now I read that some cards send the audio data via

No. If you have a cable inside your box that goes from tv card audio outlet ->
audio card line inlet it'll be line1, not line. So you can still use the line
channel for extarnal audio that you want to get into your soundcard as the
line-in. But not all tv cards have this.

> the PCI bus to the bktr driver. That sound much more elegant. But which

No. There are (many) cards with a sound processor of their own, but as far as
I know on FreeBSD they don't get their own mixer (as on Linux) but rather
become the video mixer channel (or something).

> cards work thar way? And how does FreeBSD the that data. Does a second
> mixer appear?

AFAIK, no.

HTH,

Dan