ICH7 audio support?

Ariff Abdullah skywizard at MyBSD.org.my
Thu Nov 3 02:41:50 PST 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 10:16:14 +0000
Brad Karp <bkarp at cs.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Greetings, all.
>
> I've recently bought a Dell Optiplex GX620 box, and am running
> 5.4-STABLE (as of mid-October) on it.
>
> This box has an ICH7 on the motherboard. At boot time, 5.4-RELEASE
> doesn't recognize the ICH7 in any way--not the ATA controller
> (seen as "generic"), and not the audio hardware.
>
> In particular, I see:
>
> pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 30.2 (no driver attached)
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) Does 6.0 support the ICH7 audio hardware?
> 2) If not, is anyone working on support for it?
> 3) How back-compatible is the ICH7 audio hardware with previous
> ICHes?
>    That is, is there any chance that merely by hacking the device
>    probe tables, I can "lie" to the current snd_ich driver that the
>    ICH7 is some earlier-model ICH, and get it to work?

ICH7 supposed to have new Intel High Definition Audio (HDA), which
unfortunately isn't supported (yet). I'm not quite sure whether it is
backward compatible with AC97, but you can try your luck hacking the
driver (/usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/ich.c) by adding the appropriate
pci id into ich_pci_probe() function. pciconf -l (chip=xxxx) should
give you the appropriate value for that.

--
Ariff Abdullah
MyBSD

http://www.MyBSD.org.my (IPv6/IPv4)