Support for Soundblaster Live! 24-bit?

jason henson jason at ec.rr.com
Mon Jun 27 22:50:07 GMT 2005

Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> I recently installed an evaluation copy of Windows XP Professional
> Edition for x64 on one of my drives (mainly for the purpose of setting
> up some MIDI apps, such as Cakewalk), and after checking out the current
> list of available drivers for the various Soundblaster cards, found
> that the basic Soundblaster Live! cards don't have a driver as of yet
> (one is supposed to become available soon), but that the Soundblaster
> Live! 24- bit (which does look like a rather nice card, in fact), does
> already have a driver available.
>
> So, I'm wondering about the support for this card under FreeBSD.  Is it
> already supported, or will it be in the near future?  I'd really like
> to make sure that whatever new card I buy, it will work under both OSes.
>
> Thanks.

I remember ready on this list (maybe another) about the emu10k1 chip, or
what creative calls their sound chips.  There is support for the older
first gen chip, and if it works on a newer one great.  If not you are
out of luck.  No creative sponsored driver support.

  src/sys/dev/sound/pci/emu10k1.c
/*-
  * Copyright (c) 2004 David O'Brien <obrien at FreeBSD.org>
  * Copyright (c) 2003 Orlando Bassotto <orlando.bassotto at ieo-research.it>
  * Copyright (c) 1999 Cameron Grant <cg at freebsd.org>
  * All rights reserved.

I also found Creative Audigy 2 (EMU10K2), Creative Audigy (EMU10K2), and
Creative EMU10K1 mentioned.

src/sys/dev/sound/pci/es137x.c
/*-
  * Support the ENSONIQ AudioPCI board and Creative Labs SoundBlaster PCI
  * boards based on the ES1370, ES1371 and ES1373 chips.
  *
  * Copyright (c) 1999 Russell Cattelan <cattelan at thebarn.com>
  * Copyright (c) 1999 Cameron Grant <cg at freebsd.org>
  * Copyright (c) 1998 by Joachim Kuebart. All rights reserved.

So I would recommend you get some chip ids or something of the like to
check against the pci ids in the drivers.