Capturing video with Intel Smart Video Recorder III

David Wassman dmwassman at cox.net
Wed Jun 15 01:16:16 GMT 2005

Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:11:17 -0400
><dmwassman at cox.net> wrote:
>

>>Thanks Steve. I appreciate the help. I will try the env variable when I get home tonight. One more question about the processor speed though. Does it matter that I have nothing else running on the machine (ie no X, MTA, Services except SSH and NFS) as far as performance of capture? Do you think ffmpeg would be able to grab at higher quality if it is the only process running?
>>

>	You'll need a pretty idle machine to make a good capture anyway,
>but for the most part things like X and MTAs don't eat much CPU unless
>they're being used quite heavily.
>
>	I think your best bet is nuppelvideo to capture and recode with
>mencoder afterwards if space matters. You won't get ffmpeg to capture
>full resolution on a 400MHz PII no matter what you do.

Steve,

If this computer had a neck, I would have strangled it by now. I tried
the following:

#set BKTR_DEV=0
#nuvrec -n -t 1 -V /dev/bktr0 -A /dev/dsp0.0 test0

I have done this in succession till 9 with the same result, blue screen
with sound. Any suggestions to go from here? Your help again will be
appreciated.

David